This venison stroganoff recipe is one of my family’s favorite ways to eat wild game meat. We use ground deer meat that we hunted, from scratch egg noodles, and home canned beef broth. Partnered with homemade dinner rolls or biscuits, this is amazing comfort food.
Amazing Flavor When Cooked in Cast Iron
Venison stroganoff tastes best when cooked in a cast iron dutch oven (Amazon affiliate link). Most wild game recipes have great flavor when cooked in cast iron, and is also healthier than when cooked in toxic nonstick pots and pans (read more about toxic nonstick cookware in this article). With this recipe, deer stroganoff tastes almost identical to beef stroganoff. I use ground venison, however you could use any ground meat, or diced venison steak.
Venison is Nutritious
For a healthier recipe, saute onion and use fresh garlic over medium heat to season venison. I use this hand chopper (Amazon affiliate link) to quickly mince the veggies without irritating my eyes. I also dice the fresh mushrooms into smaller pieces, since my kids don’t care for large mushroom chunks. The homemade beef stock is loaded with vitamins and nutrients, and when combined with the Worcestershire sauce, is a delicious liquid to cook the noodles in.
It’s all about sour cream sauce… even if you don’t like sour cream
The all purpose flour will coat the browned bits of seasoned venison (and the bottom of the pan), which will help to make a creamy sauce without lumps. After the noodles have cooked, you can turn the stove down to low heat and add the sour cream sauce (and Mrs. Dash). In my experience, the flavor of Mrs. Dash decreases the longer it is cooked. So for full flavor, I add it right before serving.
I hope your whole family enjoys this recipe, I know mine does. In fact, it is so good that I usually take leftovers in my lunch (in my airtight container, Amazon affiliate link). If you like this recipe, check out our Venison Shepherd’s Pie (Hunter’s Pie), Easy Homemade Venison Cheeseburger Macaroni Recipe, Venison Chili Recipe, Venison Tater Tot Casserole Recipe, The Best Venison Burgers Recipe, or our Easy Homemade Biscuits and Venison Gravy recipe!
- 1 Pound Ground Venison
- 2 Cloves Minced garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder per 1x)
- 1/4 Cup Minced Onion (or 1/2 tsp onion powder per 1x)
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Cups Beef broth (or venison broth)
- 8 oz wide egg noodles
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp Mrs. Dash
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (or more to taste)
- Brown venison with onion and garlic1 Pound Ground Venison, 1/4 Cup Minced Onion, 2 Cloves Minced garlic
- When venison is almost cooked, add mushrooms and worcestershire8 oz mushrooms, 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- After venison is cooked, add flour to coat the meat2 Tbsp flour
- add beef broth2 Cups Beef broth
- add noodles to broth, and cook under covered pan until soft (about 10 minutes)8 oz wide egg noodles
- once noodles are cooked, add sour cream, pepper, and Mrs. Dash1/3 cup sour cream, 2 Tbsp Mrs. Dash, 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Please rate the recipe at the bottom of the page, thank you!
3 thoughts on “Easy Venison Stroganoff Recipe”
Great deer cheeseburger macaroni recipe!
My family loves this recipe! Easy to make as well.
Made this for supper, and it turned out great. I’m always looking for new ways to cook deer meat.