Homemade Pheasant Noodle Soup
This delicious homemade pheasant soup will warm your soul. This old-fashioned pheasant noodle soup partners well with homemade dinner rolls, and is one of the most comforting comfort foods you’ll ever eat.
Instant Pot Pheasant Soup Recipe
This is a dump-and-go pheasant noodle soup recipe, allowing you to prep the instant pot in the morning and come home to dinner almost ready (you’ll just need to boil the noodles for 15 minutes, while the rolls bake). Cookie wild pheasant has never been easier, so bag your pheasant limit and take home your hunting prizes!
Pheasant Soup Recipe Ingredients
- Pheasant: There are many health benefits to cooking soup with bones, then removing the bones after the soup has cooked. Cooking wild game pheasant also has health benefits, so you get twice the health benefits with this meal!
- Carrots: One of the three components of mirepoix, cooked together for a traditional soup base. Carrots add substance to the soup. Carrots are traditionally used to treat fluid retention, UTIs, indigestion and bloating, and insomnia.
- Celery: Another of the three components of mirepoix, cooked together for a traditional soup base. Celery adds substance to the soup.
- Egg noodles: These noodles contain less carbohydrates, more protein, and absorb less liquid than pasta noodles. Gluten free egg noodles available.
- Chicken bullion: This adds flavor to the soup broth, giving a nice base to the soup.
- Thyme: Thyme is a medicinal herb used for flavoring the soup. Thyme is used traditionally to treat sore throat, cough, poor circulation, and muscle aches.
- Paprika: Paprika is a mild spice, much milder than its cousin the chili pepper.
- Oregano: Oregano as a medicinal herb, used for flavoring the soup. Oregano is traditionally used to treat indigestion, liver and gallbladder disfunction, insomnia, and muscle aches.
- Onion: Onion adds a bit of kick to the soup, giving off a bit of flavor. The last of the three components of mirepoix, for a traditional soup base.
- Garlic: Garlic adds flavor to the soup, giving off some flavor. Garlic is traditionally used to treat influenza and viral infections, fungal infections, and high blood pressure.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the different ingredients.
- Pepper: Pepper adds a bit of interest to the flavor of the soup.
Equipment Needed to Make Pheasant Soup
- Instant Pot
- Baking sheet or muffin pan (for dinner rolls)
- Bread machine or mixer (for dinner rolls)
How to Make Pheasant Soup
This recipe makes about 14 cups of pheasant soup (which will fit in a 6 quart Instant Pot). Use the 0.5 x recipe if you need a smaller batch for the 3 quart Instant Pot, and you can fit 1.5x batch in an 8 quart Instant Pot.
Pheasant Soup Ingredients
- 3 Whole Pheasants (brined) (about 4.5 – 6 lbs)
- 5 cubes Chicken bullion diluted in 4 cups of water
- 2 cups Sliced carrots
- 2 cups Sliced celery
- 2 cups Egg noodles
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons of dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1½ teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano)
- 1 Tablespoon Minced onion (or 1 teaspoon of onion powder)
- 4 cloves Minced garlic (or ½ teaspoon of garlic powder)
Dinner Rolls Ingredients
- 3½ cups Flour
- 1¼ cups Warm water
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 teaspoons Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Night Before Timesaver Prep
- Thaw pheasant in the refrigerator for 24 – 48 hours, or on the counter overnight.
- Dilute 5 chicken bullion cubes in a glass measuring cup about ¼ cup of water in the microwave, on high for about 1 minute 30 seconds. Measuring cup will be HOT. Add diluted bullion to the instant pot, then add remaining 3¾ cups of water (using hot tap water to avoid breaking the glass measuring cup).5 cubes Chicken bullion diluted in 4 cups of water
- Add seasonings and stir.2 Tablespoons Fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons Salt, 1½ teaspoons Paprika, 1 teaspoon Pepper, 1 Tablespoon Fresh oregano, 1 Tablespoon Minced onion, 4 cloves Minced garlic
- Slice carrots and celery and add to the Instant Pot. (If prepping the night before, place the silicone lid on the Intant Pot inner pot, and place in the fridge for tomorrow morning.)2 cups Sliced carrots, 2 cups Sliced celery
- Mix ingredients and arrange the dinner rolls, and put them in the refrigerator until mealtime (up to 24 hours). You can divide the dough into 36 balls and place 3 balls in each greased muffin tin, or divide the dough into 20 balls and arrange them on a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.3½ cups Flour, 1¼ cups Warm water, ¼ cup Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Butter, 2 teaspoons Yeast, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Remove giblets from the pheasants (if they are included), and place in the Instant Pot.3 Whole Pheasants (brined)
- Attach pressure lid with gasket to the Instant Pot, and set on high for 28 minutes. Naturally release the pressure (don't open the valve) when it is done cooking. (Use the "Keep Warm" setting if prepping in the morning.)
- Remove the rolls from the refrigerator, and allow them to warm to room temperature on the stove. Preheat the oven to 350°F (the heat from the oven will help warm the rolls to room temp). Bake the rolls for about 10 minutes, until the tops start to turn gold.
- Once the pressure has released, open the instant pot and remove the pheasants using 2 large slotted spoons or spatulas. Remove the meat from the bones and shred. The meat should fall off the bones, and this step should be relatively easy.
- While deboning and shredding the meat, set the Instant Pot to the "Sautee" function, and add the egg noodles. Stir occasionaly while adding back the shredded pheasant meat. Cook the egg noodles until they are soft (about 10 minutes). Turn off the Instant Pot and allow the pheasant soup to cool, and the rolls should soon be done and cooling as well.2 cups Egg noodles
Substitute Pheasant Soup Ingredients
- Gluten free egg noodles
- Gluten free chicken bullion
Leftover Pheasant Broth
After cooking the soup, save the pheasant bones for later to make pheasant broth. I put the leftover bones (with a little bit of meat, carrots, and celery) in a freezer bag, to later simmer in a stock pot all day. I then pressure can the pheasant stock to cook with later.
Other Soup Recipes
If you liked this soup recipe, check out our other soup recipes: Venison Stew, Ground Venison Soup, Venison Chili, and Pheasant Soup.