Roasted Pheasant Recipe
Have you tried to cook pheasant, but it turned out a little fowl? Try this simple roasted pheasant recipe, it’s a wild game changer! You can season it with fresh herbs from your garden…. if you have the thyme.
How to Make Roasted Pheasant
This recipe makes enough to feed 4-6 people in a 6 quart Instant Pot. You could use the 1.5x box to feed 6-8 in an 8 quart Instant Pot, or the 0.5x box to feed 2-4 in a 3 quart Instant Pot.
- 3 whole pheasants (brined) (about 1½ – 2 lbs each)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or 1 cube of chicken bullion dissolved in 1 cup of water per 1x)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons of dried thyme per 1x)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano per 1x)
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion (or 1 teaspoon of onion powder per 1x)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic (or ½ teaspoon of garlic powder per 1x)
Optional Pheasant Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons flour (or cornstarch (optional for pheasant gravy))
- 2 Tablespoons butter (optional for pheasant gravy)
- Remove any giblets from the pheasant cavitities, and place the pheasants in the Instant Pot.3 whole pheasants (brined)
- Mix chicken broth and herbs, and pour into Instant Pot. (To delay the start time, dissolve 1 chicken bullion cube in ¼ of water and add 1½ cups of ice, per 1x batch. This will keep the pheasant cold for hours before cooking.)1 cup chicken stock, 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, 1 Tablespoon minced onion, 2 teaspoons salt, 1½ teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon pepper, 4 cloves minced garlic
- Place your vegetable of choice in the steamer basket, for a one pot meal.
- Set and lock the Instant Pot lid, and make sure the valve is set to seal. Pressure cook on high for 28 minutes, using a natural release (don't open the valve).
- Remove optional vegetables and pheasant from the Instant Pot.
- If you want to make potatoes and gravy, you can easily thicken the drippings for a delicious pheasant gravy. Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter, and mix with 2 Tablespoons of flour (or corn starch). Set Instant Pot to sautee setting, and slowly add flour and butter mixture to the remaining drippings. Mix well with a whisk. Bring to a boil, and turn off the Instant Pot. The gravy will thicken over the next few minutes, while you can debone the pheasant.2 Tablespoons flour, 2 Tablespoons butter
- Debone the pheasant, and enjoy!
Simple Roasted Pheasant Recipe
Do you enjoy pheasant hunting, but haven’t been able to make it taste good? It’s important to remember that wild game will taste different than farmed animals, and that is because farmed animals don’t forage wild foods and aren’t as active as wild game. This is also the same reason why wild game has more nutritional benefits (and overall health benefits) than farmed meat. This roasted pheasant recipe contains a blend of spices that will make wild pheasant taste more like domesticated chicken, while the pressure cooker makes the texture delicious. No baking required, and you can prep this meal in the morning to come home to dinner already cooked. You’ll never want to buy chicken from the store again!
Whole Roasted Pheasant Ingredients
- Pheasant: There are many health benefits to cooking meat with bones, then removing the bones after the meat has cooked. Cooking wild game pheasant also has health benefits, so you get twice the health benefits with this meal!
- Chicken bullion: Chicken broth adds flavor to the meat, cooking the chicken in another brine or marinade.
- Thyme: Thyme is a medicinal herb used for flavoring the meat. Thyme is used traditionally to treat sore throat, cough, poor circulation, and muscle aches.
- Paprika: Paprika is a mild spice, much milder than its cousin the chili pepper.
- Oregano: Oregano as a medicinal herb, used for flavoring the meat. Oregano is traditionally used to treat indigestion, liver and gallbladder disfunction, insomnia, and muscle aches.
- Onion: Onion adds a bit of kick to the meat, giving off a bit of flavor.
- Garlic: Garlic adds flavor to the meat, giving off some flavor. Garlic is traditionally used to treat influenza and viral infections, fungal infections, and high blood pressure.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the different ingredients.
- Pepper: Pepper adds a bit of interest to the flavor of the meat.
Equipment Needed for Instant Pot Roast Pheasant
This list contains Amazon affiliate links, that will open in a new tab.
- Instant Pot
- Steamer basket (optional for vegetables)
Substitutes for Roasting Pheasant
- Add potatoes and stir flour in the juices at the bottom of the pan, for a one-pot meal of wild roasted pheasant with mashed potatoes and gravy.
- Or add seasonal vegetables from the garden, for a low carb one pan meal including side dishes
- Use the meat from this recipe to make Pheasant Pot Pie
Other Pheasant Recipes
Check out our other delicious pheasant recipes: