Best Seasoning for Deer Meat
The homemade taco seasoning in this recipe is easy to prep, and tastes very similar to McCormick’s taco seasoning packets. I usually prep a mason jar full of it so that it is ready to use on deer tacos and my venison cheeseburger macaroni recipe. The seasoning includes chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
How to Make Venison Taste Like Beef
If you have gamey tasting wild game meat, try mixing some beef in with the ground venison. We have the locker add 30% ground beef in with the ground deer meet when processing. Adding a heavy season mix like taco seasoning, will also help suppress the game flavor.
Authentic Mexican Venison Tacos Have Homemade Tortillas
If you are a fan of authentic Mexican food, then you love homemade tortillas. You’ll want to check out this tortilla press (Amazon affiliate link). The flavor you’ll get with homemade tortillas is AMAZING when compared to a store-bought taco shell. You will never go back to buying tortillas again. We normally eat soft tacos, but I imagine that popping tortillas in the air fryer for hard tacos would be delicious as well.
Venison is Healthy Meat
Studies have shown that regularly consuming wild game meat reduces risk for developing cancer and chronic inflammatory diseases. These chronic inflammatory diseases include cardiovascular disease, diabetes, COPD, arthritis, psoriasis, etc. This is partially due to the fat composition, and omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. Venison meat is such a lean meat, that you don’t need to worry about draining grease after browning. (One of the best parts about cooking with venison over beef.) The seasoning mixture with water creates a broth for the ground meat to cook in, creating the most flavorful meat for tacos.
Some of my favorite toppings include homemade salsa (which is similar to pico), cheese, cilantro, guacamole, and a bit of sour cream. My husband loves refried beans on his tacos. I also have an awesome homemade salsa recipe, which I will post and link to at a later date.
If you like this recipe, you might want to try:
- Venison Sloppy Joes
- Venison Burgers
- Venison Pot Pie
- Venison Roast
- Venison Stew
- Venison Salisbury Steak and Gravy
- Venison Lumpia Recipe (Filipino egg rolls)
- Venison Shepherd’s Pie
- Venison Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- Venison Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- Venison Breakfast Skillet
- Ground Venison Soup
- Venison Tater Tot Casserole
- Venison Stroganoff
- Venison Chili
- Venison Tacos
- Venison Cheeseburger Macaroni
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 10 taco shells
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1⅓ tsp salt
- 1⅓ tsp black pepper
- ⅔ tsp garlic powder
- ⅔ tsp onion powder
- ⅔ tsp dried cilantro
- ⅔ tsp paprika
- ⅓ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more or less for spiciness)
- sour cream
- salsa or pico
- refried beans
- Brown 2 lbs ground venison2 lbs ground venison
- While meat is cooking (and/or defrosting), prep toppings like guacamole, salsa, etcguacamole, salsa or pico, refried beans
- After venison is cooked, add taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water. Stir to make a broth to flavor the meat.4 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 1⅓ tsp salt, 1⅓ tsp black pepper, ⅔ tsp garlic powder, ⅔ tsp onion powder, ⅔ tsp dried cilantro, ⅔ tsp paprika, ⅓ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook until broth is dry, stirring frequently as it dries (to prevent burning and sticking).
- Warm tortillas on another cast iron skillet (even store bought tortillas taste better warmed up)10 taco shells
- Add desired toppings, and enjoy!guacamole, sour cream, salsa or pico, cheese, refried beans
- If you enjoyed this recipe, please comment and rate at the bottom of the page. Thank you!
1 thought on “Best Venison Tacos Recipe”
Great taco seasoning recipe!