The hunter’s version of Shepherd’s pie, using ground deer meat (or ground elk meat) instead of ground lamb or ground beef (also known as Cottage Pie).
Venison Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
- Ground venison: Wild game has lower saturated fats (41%) than beef (46%), and also has higher iron content (0.135mg/oz) than beef (0.070mg/oz) and pork (0.035mg/oz). Wild venison also has a higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratio (more good omegas) than domesticated beef and pork.
- Diced onion: Some health benefits of onions include anti-asthmatic properties, antibiotic effects, and anticancer properties.
- Parsley: Studies have shown that parsley is effective in reducing stress-induced gastric injury (heartburn, ulcers, etc).
- Rosemary: Rosemary has significant antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-tumor, blocking nerve pain stimulation, and neurologic protective properties. Furthermore, studies have shown rosemary supports mood, learning, memory, pain, anxiety, and sleep.
- Thyme: Thyme is an excellent preservative, thyme is also used to treat sore throats and cough. It can also be applied topically for achy muscles and to improve circulation.
- Salt & pepper: Studies have shown that black pepper can assist in cognitive brain functioning, boost nutrient absorption, and improve gastrointestinal functionality.
- Worcestershire sauce: The powerful sauce contains a lot of iron, calcium, and potassium.
- Garlic cloves: Health benefits of fresh garlic cloves include the prevention of chronic diseases like cancer, cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders, and diabetes.
- Beef broth: Studies show that regular consumption of bone broth works well to prevent gastrointestinal disorders like ulcerative colitis.
- Peas: Garden peas have been shown to possess antibacterial, antidiabetic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-hypercholesterolemia, antioxidant, and anticancer properties.
- Diced carrots: are high in nutrients found to reduce cancer and cardiovascular disease
- Corn: Roundup-tolerant sweet corn was released in 2011, however, there is a new variety of sweet corn seeds that can grow in containers! You can now grow your own sweet corn.
- Tomato powder (or tomato paste): One study showed that the consumption of tomato powder with strenuous exercise reduced the amount of oxidative stress biomarkers more than a lycopene supplement.
- Tomatoes: Studies have shown that tomato fruit consumption has been associated with a reduced risk of inflammatory processes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
- Potatoes: Potatoes are particularly high in vitamin C and are a good source of several B vitamins and potassium, while the skins are high in dietary fiber.
- Milk: Studies have shown that consumption of dairy products was associated with a reduced risk of childhood obesity. In adults, intake of dairy products was shown to improve body composition and facilitate weight loss during energy restriction, and a reduction in risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Cheddar cheese (or your preferred cheese): Studies have shown that with dairy product consumption, there is a reduction in cancer risk including colorectal cancer, bladder cancer, gastric cancer, and breast cancer.
Hunter’s Pie Equipment
- Dutch oven (Amazon Affiliate Link) You can learn more about the health effects of nonstick cookware in this article.
- Instant Pot (Amazon Affiliate Link) (An Instant Pot is not needed, but will speed things up, and eliminate the need for dicing potatoes)
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie
- Put peeled (or half-peeled) potatoes in an instant pot on a rack with a cup of water. Pressure cook on high, 5 minutes for small potatoes and 10 minutes for large potatoes. (If you don’t have an instant pot, you can peel and dice potatoes, and boil them for 20-30 minutes instead.)
- While potatoes are pressure cooking, fry ground venison, onion, and garlic in a dutch oven.
- Preheat oven. Add parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce to cooked venison. Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add flour and tomato powder, and coat the meat evenly.
- Once the meat is coated with flour, add beef stock, peas, carrots, and corn. Stir and simmer 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in the instant pot, mash cooked potatoes, and stir adding milk, butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and cheese.
- After wild venison and vegetables have cooked, top with mashed potatoes topping. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Hunter’s Pie (Venison Shepherd’s Pie)
Meat & Vegetable Mixture
- 1 pound Ground venison
- 1 cup Onion (diced)
- 2 tsp Rosemary (dried) (or 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary)
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried) (or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tbsp Tomato powder (or 2 Tbsp tomato paste)
- 1 cup Beef broth
- ½ cup Peas
- ½ cup Carrots (diced)
- ½ cup Corn
Mashed Potato Topping
- 2 large Potatoes
- 8 Tbsp Butter
- ⅓ cup Half & half (or milk)
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ¼ cup Cheese
Meat & Vegetable Mixture
- Cook ground venison in dutch oven with onion and garlic cloves.1 pound Ground venison, 1 cup Onion (diced), 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- While venison is cooking (or defrosting), place potatoes on a trivet in the Instant Pot. Add at least 1 cup of water for pressure cooker to properly cook. Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes for large potatoes, or for 12 minutes for small potatoes.2 large Potatoes
- Add the seasoning and Worcesterhire sauce.2 tsp Rosemary (dried), 1 tsp Thyme (dried), ½ tsp Salt, ½ tsp Pepper, 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Add flour and tomato powder (or paste). Stir well to coat the meat with flour.2 Tbsp Flour, 1 Tbsp Tomato powder
- Add beef broth, and stir well.1 cup Beef broth
- Add vegetables, bring broth to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.½ cup Peas, ½ cup Carrots (diced), ½ cup Corn
- While vegetables are cooking, preheat oven to 400°.
Mashed Potato Topping
- Remove potatoes from the Instant Pot and place into a mixing bowl.2 large Potatoes
- Add butter, half & half (or milk), garlic powder, salt, and pepper.8 Tbsp Butter, ⅓ cup Half & half (or milk), ½ tsp Garlic powder, ½ tsp Salt, ¼ tsp Pepper
- Mash potatoes and mix the ingredients. Either top the potatoes with cheese, or mix into the potatoes.¼ cup Cheese
- Turn heat off of the meat and vegetable mixture, and spread the mixture evenly across the bottom. Top with meat and vegetable mixture with mashed potato mixture.
- Bake at 400° uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
Other Delicious Venison Recipes:
- Venison Burgers
- Venison Pot Pie
- Venison Roast
- Venison Stew
- Venison Salisbury Steak and Gravy
- Venison Lumpia Recipe (Filipino egg rolls)
- Venison Shepherd’s Pie
- Venison Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- Venison Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- Venison Breakfast Skillet
- Ground Venison Soup
- Venison Tater Tot Casserole
- Venison Stroganoff
- Venison Chili
- Venison Tacos
- Venison Cheeseburger Macaroni