Here is one of the best of the easy lumpia recipes I’ve found using ground beef. I actually use ground venison instead of beef, but the recipe could be used for either without alterations. (I’m fortunate enough to be able to hunt deer in the corn belt, so the deer I eat has less of a gamey taste than those that I’ve hunted in the mountains.)
Egg Rolls with Meat
Lumpia isn’t a common dish in rural areas of the Phillipines. The Filipino-style egg rolls are more commonly found in urban and commercialized areas. Traditionally the meat mixture is made of ground pork, but since I have an abundance of ground deer in my freezer, I prefer to use my own meat. Lumpia is extremely easy to cook, especially if you have a vegetable chopper (Amazon affiliate link).
Lumpia can be Healthy
Another way that I make the Filipino spring rolls healthier, is to cook them in an air fryer instead of deep frying them in vegetable oil. The air fryer creates crispy and golden brown egg roll wrappers, without the mess (and it frees you up in the kitchen for 10 minutes while cooking). Just be sure to use an air fryer made with stainless steel (Amazon affiliate link), to avoid the health problems associated with non-stick surfaces. (You can read more about it in this article.)
- Ground beef (or ground venison or pork) – ground meat supplies amino acids, proteins, minerals, and vitamins that are difficult to obtain from other sources. Current research is inconclusive and does not support that meat consumption increases the risk of disease, nor does it conclude that meat consumption is part of a healthy diet. There are studies that show that wild game consumption does have beneficial health effects, which you can read more about in this article.
- Garlic – health benefits of fresh garlic include prevention of chronic diseases like cancer, cardiovascular disease, metabolic disorders, and diabetes.
- Onion (green, white, yellow, or red) – some of the health benefits of onions include anti-asthmatic properties, antibiotic effects, and anticancer properties.
- Carrots – are high in nutrients found to reduce cancer and cardiovascular disease
- Green cabbage – has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat gastrointestinal disorders like gastritis, peptic ulcers, duodenal ulcers, mastitis, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Soy sauce – fermented soy sauce has been shown to have beneficial effects on gut microbiome and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers Disease and Parkinson’s Disease. In addition, fermented soybean products is also believed to be a preventative of several other chronic diseases. You can learn more about gut health and its effects on the neurological system in this article.
- Salt & pepper
- Egg roll wrappers (or you can make your own with flour and water)
Lumpia Ingredient Substitutions
I have used ground beef, ground pork, and ground deer meat interchangeably in this recipe. They are all a great tasting choice of meat. I have also used green onion, red onion, yellow onion, and red onion interchangeably in this recipe. To be honest, I didn’t notice much of a difference in flavor.
I have tried making my own egg roll wrappers, but haven’t had much luck. I may try to perfect this portion of the recipe using a homemade version, but for now I purchase wrappers.
If you like this recipe check out our venison burgers recipe, breakfast skillet recipe, shepherd’s pie recipe, or homemade biscuits and venison sausage gravy recipe!
Easy Ground Beef Lumpia
- 2 lbs ground beef ((ground venison and ground pork also taste delicious in this recipe))
- 6 cloves minced garlic (or 1.5 tsp of garlic powder)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots ((or finely chopped))
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 21 egg roll wrappers
- Cook ground meat, garlic, and onion in cast iron skillet or dutch oven.2 lbs ground beef, 6 cloves minced garlic, 3/4 cup chopped onion
- While meat is cooking, shred carrots and green cabbage. Add vegetables, seasoning, and soy sauce to cooked meat, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.1 cup shredded carrots, 1 cup shredded green cabbage, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Lay an egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape, add about 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture, fold the bottom corner over the meat mixture, then the two side corners. Wet the top corner by dipping your fingers in a bowl of water and smearing it on the wrapper. Roll the meat mixture to the top corner, and place on air fryer tray.21 egg roll wrappers
- Air fry for 9 minutes at 400°, or until golden brown.